Admin Login

A League 2B: St. Peter’s, Dunboyne 0-13 Gaeil Colmcille 3-08

By gaeilcolmcillepro Fri 26th May

A League 2B: St. Peter’s, Dunboyne 0-13 Gaeil Colmcille 3-08
A League 2B: St. Peter’s, Dunboyne 0-13 Gaeil Colmcille 3-08

Coming off the back of an important win over Carnaross in the previous Round, Gaeil Colmcille were hoping to back that result up when they travelled to Rooske to face St. Peter’s, Dunboyne’s second team.

Right from the off Dunboyne looked fearsome in attack and could have had a goal in the opening minute only for Bruno Griffin to clear the ball off the line. Dunboyne did register the first score of the game shortly after but two points from the inform Fionn Ferguson saw Kells take a 0-02 to 0-01 lead with two minutes on the clock.

With a ferocious pace to the start of the game, Dunboyne went close once more for a goal, this time The Gaeils called on their goalkeeper Stephen Reddy to keep out the shot. Dunboyne started to cause all sorts of problems with their strong runs from deep and struck for four points in a row to open up a three point lead.

With Dunboyne in the ascendancy, Gaeil Colmcille were handed a massive lifeline in the 19th minute when Liam Barry excellently found Ferguson who side stepped Cian Flynn in the Dunboyne goal to slot home an equaliser for the Kells side. Dunboyne quickly regained their lead with a point but Gaeil Colmcille midfielder Phil Ward got in behind the St. Peter’s defence and he calmly side footed the ball to the back of the net to see Kells go two clear.

Both sides traded scores with Cormac O’Reilly hitting a monster score in the 27th minute to keep Gaeil Colmcille ahead as the half drew to a close. There was one more score in the half and it was the home side who got it thanks to a 14 yard free which left Gaeil Colmcille 2-03 to 0-08 ahead at the interval.

The introduction of fresh legs at half time paid early dividends for Kells and a Ferguson free pushed Kells two ahead. Within 6 minutes of the restart though Dunboyne were level thanks to two points in a row. Credit to the travelling side they found themselves in front once more when Evan Sheridan hit a beautiful point with his trusted left boot.

With 9 minutes left to play Kells went from one point up to two points behind thanks to three points in a row from Dunboyne to leave Kells an uphill task for the remainder of the game. As was with the exchanges in the first half, when the Kells side needed a lift they scored a goal and this time it was Full-Back Fionn Smith who found himself in the opposition square (despite being told not to go by the halfway line) and a 2010 Joe Sheridanesque finish somehow got the ball over the line for Kells to once again go in front.

From that position Gaeil Colmcille never looked back and hit the three final scores of the game, Ferguson getting his fourth point of the game to add to his goal, a Daniel Farrelly point and a point from Ahmed Lawal who was on one leg in the full forward line after picking up a heavy cramp late on.

The win keeps Kells survival hopes alive as they head into the final two games.

Gaeil Colmcile: Stephen Reddy, Taidgh Dardis, Fionn Smith (1-00), Bruno Griffin, Cormac Ferguson, Danny Muldoon, Eibheann Keegan, Oisin O’Reilly, Phil Ward (1-00), Ahmed Lawal (0-01), Eoin Doogan, Cormac O’Reilly (0-01), Liam Barry, Fionn Ferguson (1-04), Gary McGovern.

Subs: Evan Sheridan (0-01), Daniel Farrelly (0-01), Sean Cleary, Rian Early, Harry Flanagan (concussion), Dylan Roche

By gaeilcolmcillepro Fri 26th May

Related News

Main Sponsor

Our Partners

Proud to be part of