Admin Login

A League D1: Gaeil Colmcille 2-11 Navan O’Mahony’s 1-10

By gaeilcolmcillepro Sun 3rd Apr

A League D1: Gaeil Colmcille 2-11 Navan O’Mahony’s 1-10
A League D1: Gaeil Colmcille 2-11 Navan O’Mahony’s 1-10

Gaeil Colmcille and Navan O’Mahony’s met in Grangegodden in the third round of the Division 1A Meath Leagues with both sides looking for their first win of the campaign.

The home side got off to a blistering start with the familiar names of Brian Hanlon and Martin Barrett pointing inside three minutes. O’Mahony’s registered their first score from a free in the 9th minute but that was soon cancelled after a strong run from midfielder Evan Sheridan and Sheridan slotted over to give Gaeil Colmcille their third score of the game.

That was soon followed by Barrett’s second point on 12 minutes, Hanlon added his second too on 14 minutes when he slotted over a free kick. O’Mahony’s themselves relied on frees playing against the breeze in the first half and got their second free on 20 minutes but Aaron Browne restored the five point lead for Kells on 23 minutes when he pointed excellently on the run.

A third free for O’Mahony’s was soon followed by a collectors item point off the right foot by Oisin Reilly to leave Gaeil Colmcille 0-07 to 0-03 ahead at half-time.

Fionn Ferguson, a half-time substitute for Ryan Farnham was involved in the opening score of the second half and his perfectly timed ball in to the forward line gave Hanlon time to turn and shoot over the bar. One minute later and Hanlon found the back of the net for the opening goal of the game to see Kells stretch eight points clear.

O’Mahony’s response was excellent and they never let their heads drop with two unanswered points and a goal on 39 minutes left just a goal between the sides. O’Mahony’s got the next score of the game 5 minutes later and from being eight points down, an eight minute purple patch by the Navan men closed the gap to just two with 17 minutes remaining.

Both sides traded scores with Hanlon add another score for Gaeil Colmcile. In the 48th minute, Seanie Curran made a lung bursting run out of defence and as he was hauled down just inside the O’Mahony’s 45 yard line, referee Joseph Curran called for a free, Curran, frustrated with the foul got up and kicked the ball high and straight over the black spot to put three between the teams.

With the game heading into the closing stages, O’Mahony’s continued to pile the pressure on the Gaeil Colmcille backs and with just two minutes remaining the Navan side pointed to leave just two between the sides. The game was killed off for Kells when substitute Barry Farrelly soccer styled a pass to Aaron Browne who finished excellently soccer style with the outside of the boot to seal the win for the Gaeils. O’Mahony’s did add a consoloation point late on but it was Gaeil Colmcile who grabbed the two points on offer.

Gaeil Colmcille: Justin Carry-Lynch, Adam Muldoon, Paulie Tormay, James Reilly, Seanie Curran (0-01), Conal Courtney, Daniel Farrelly, Cian Doogan, Evan Sheridan (0-01), Oisin Reilly (0-01), Martin Barrett (0-02), Aaron Browne (1-01), Ryan Farnham, Danny McGover, Brian Hanlon (1-05).

Subs: Fionn Ferguson for Farnham (HT), Adam Donnelly for Tormay (42 min), Barry Farrelly for McGovern (53min)

Related News

Main Sponsor

Our Partners

Proud to be part of