Admin Login

Meath MFC: Gaeil Colmcille 0-12 Ratoath 2-02

By gaeilcolmcillepro Mon 29th Aug

Meath MFC: Gaeil Colmcille 0-12 Ratoath 2-02
Meath MFC: Gaeil Colmcille 0-12 Ratoath 2-02

In what was a must win game for Gaeil Colmcille Minors, Justin Carry-Lynch’s troops put in a tremendous performance and arguably their best of the year to defeat Ratoath win four points to spare in what was a fierce battle in the LMFM Division Minor Championship.

Gaeil Colmcille’s defence was immense all evening and limited Ratoath to a single point in the first half, of which they got on the stroke of half-time to see the Kells men lead by 0-06 to 0-01 at the break.

For Gaeil Colmcille’s six points it was thanks to an array of different scorers with midfielder Jack Hogg getting the ball rolling after he gambled on a lose ball to point in the opening minute. Oisin Walsh who was playing at Full-Forward and was causing serious problems for the Ratoath backs pointed in the fourth minute and corner forward Harry Flanagan smartly got on the scoresheet with a point of his trusted right boot.

Hogg added his second score of the match on 10 minutes and Walsh, now having to deal with a sweeper in front of him got his second score of the half. Livewire wing forward Andrew Gormley  got Kells sixth point of the half on 23 minutes and the Ratoath free closed out the half. Both sides had guilt edged goal chances with Hogg seeing a one on one shot saved while Gaeil Colmcille had to call on their keeper Glen Gavagan not once but twice to keep out the visitors to Páirc Colmcille.

Both sides exchanged points early on in the second half with Walsh who was not letting the extra attention he was getting from the Ratoath backs affect him as he pointed smartly. Ratoath’s second score of the game was soon followed by an Andrew Gormley point and in the 36th minute Ratoath had the games opening goal to leave just a goal between the teams.

Gaeil Colmcille’s response was a Finn Tegetmeier point to extend the lead to four points and with 44 minutes on the clock The Gaeils had the chance to stretch the lead further when Referee Kieran Olwell outstretched his arms to signal for a Kells penalty. Up stepped Oisin Walsh but he saw his effort rattle off the upright. Andrew Gormley was on hand to get a score of the rebound and once again Gaeil Colmcille led by five 0-10 to 1-02.  Once again Kells had to call on their keeper Gavagan to keep the lead at five as he made another top class save.

Walsh got his fourth point of the game in the  55th minute, this time turning smartly onto his left foot and pointing. Gaeil Colmcille’s twelfth and final score came soon after thanks to the hard working half forward Noah Boshell.

Ratoath were given a lifeline in the 58th minute after quick thinking from the forward saw him bury a 21 yard free low to the bottom corner. That was to be the final score of the game and set up a mouth watering game with Oldcastle in the final round.

Gaeil Colmcille: Glen Gavagan, Callum Mitchell, Rian Early, Bruno Griffin, Kilian Kelly, John Gormley, Tiernan Anderson, Oisin O’Reilly, Jack Hogg (0-02), Noah Boshell (0-01), Finn Tegetmeier (0-01), Andrew Gormley (0-03), Liam Barry, Oisin Walsh (0-04), Harry Flanagan (0-01).

Subs: David Butler for Flanagan, Eoghan Flynn for Barry, Liam Devine for Boshell,

Related News

Main Sponsor

Our Partners

Proud to be part of