Admin Login

Meath SFC: Gaeil Colmcille 2-15 Na Fianna 0-13

By gaeilcolmcillepro Sun 20th Sep

Meath SFC: Gaeil Colmcille 2-15 Na Fianna 0-13
Meath SFC: Gaeil Colmcille 2-15 Na Fianna 0-13

Gaeil Colmcille and Na Fianna met in the Semi-Final of the Fairyhouse Steel Meath Senior Football Championship on a Sunny but windy Pairc Tailteann.

Na Fianna were hoping to make their third County Final in seven years while Gaeil Colmcille were hoping to make their first since 1991 after reaching four of the last five Semi-Finals.

The Enfield/Baconstown combination flew out the blocks and could have hit the back of the net straight away but for the frame of the goal to come to Kells rescue, Na Fianna did point from the resulting rebound to give them the lead inside one minute.

A pointed free from Seamus Mattimoe in the 6th minute settled any nerves Gaeil Colmcille had but two points from play by Na Fianna saw them push 0-03 to 0-01 clear with 8 minutes played.

Kells clawed their way back and were level at 4 points each at the first half water break with Martin Barrett, Brian Hanlon and another Mattimoe free from Gaeil Colmcille.

Gaeil Colmcille took the lead for the first time in the match in the 21st minute thanks to another Mattimoe free and all seemed to be swinging in Kells favour but Na Fianna, who were playing with the aid of the conditions rattled off the next five scores in a row to lead 0-09 to 0-05 with 28 minutes on the clock.

Kells did manage to get one more point before the break with Mattimoe adding his fourth free to leave the Gaeils trailing 0-09 to 0-06 at half-time.

As Lar Wall tried to rally his troops at the break it was Na Fianna who started brightest with a point from a mark coming directly from the throw up.

Two more frees from Na Fianna gave them their biggest lead of the game 0-12 to 0-06. Gaeil Colmcille needed to be patient and use the conditions in their favour and they had Mattimoe once again to thank as he hit two points in quick succession, the second a fisted point with a half chance of a goal gone begging.

Gaeil Colmcille had another chance for goal only for the Na Fianna defender to make a courageous block on the line, Liam Ferguson followed the block with a point to leave a goal between the sides.

The goal did come in the 45th minute as Ferguson picked out Barrett with a pass, Barrett laid the ball off to Hanlon and with the left boot from the edge of the 14 yard line hit the top corner to level the game up. Na Fianna looked to retain the lead as the broke in behind the Kells defence, a goal looked on the cards only for Full-Back Paulie Tormay to make a game changing tackle much to the cheers of the Kells faithful.

A Hanlon 45 just after the water break gave the Gaeils the lead for the first time since midway through the first half. Hanlon and Mattimoe were involved in the next five points with four frees and a point from play to see Kells take a six point lead on the closing stages.

Gaeil Colmcille made sure of the victory in the 60th minute when Mattimoe picked out Fionn Reilly with a free and his low shot nestled in back of the net to see Kells through to the Final Showdown with Ratoath on 4th of October.

Gaeil Colmcille: J Carry-Lynch, J Muldoon, P Tormay, J Quigley, J Reilly , S Curran, F Reilly (1-00), L Ferguson (0-01), O Reilly, E Sheridan, K Reilly, C Courtney, S Mattimoe (0-09), M Barrett (0-01), B Hanlon (1-04)

Subs: B Smith for K Reilly, A Muldoon for Curran, R Farnham for Sheridan, P Ward for Hanlon, C Doogan for Barrett

Related News

Main Sponsor

Our Partners

Proud to be part of