Admin Login

Prem Cup D2 Final: Gaeil Colmcille 1-12 Bective 1-05

By gaeilcolmcillepro Mon 16th Oct

Prem Cup D2 Final: Gaeil Colmcille 1-12 Bective 1-05
Prem Cup D2 Final: Gaeil Colmcille 1-12 Bective 1-05

Gaeil Colmcille and Bective contested the Reserve Cup Division 2 final at Cortown in cold, but otherwise perfect conditions for football. For the third time in two years Gary McGovern collected silverware for the club.

Although Bective opened the scoring when their full-forward pointed from play, Kells dominated possession for most of the first half but struggled to break down a packed defence. Gary McGovern converted a free and Cormac O’Reilly got one from play, but their opponents full forward was on hand again soon after to equalise.

A short break in play followed as the referee headed for the dressing rooms to get his glasses, something that is called for in many games but usually goes unheeded! Midway through the half Alex Williams gathered the ball in the right corner and weaved his way past a number of defenders before finishing neatly into the bottom left corner of the net. McGovern and O’Reilly both got their second points of the evening to extend the lead.  Williams saw a point effort hit the inside of the post and drop into the small square before it was scrambled clear. A point from play and another from a free saw Bective cut the deficit, but McGovern had the final say of the half with a point in injury time.

Kells started the second half brightly and Liam Barry got the first of his three points after just two minutes. Just as it looked like they might start to pull away, Bective struck with a well taken goal. Gary McGovern responded with a free, and then, after a strong run down the middle Cormac O’Reilly saw his goal bound effort turned around the post by the goalkeeper. The resultant 45 eventually found its way to Rian Early who pointed. The next score was a point for Bective, but excellent defending by Gaeil Colmcille ensured this was to be their last score of the game.

Over the remaining twenty minutes a number of substitutes were introduced and the fresh legs energised the team to see them reel off another 5 points from play as goalkeeper Justy Carry-Lynch switched from short to long kick outs to pile pressure on the Bective defence. First Kevin Carpenter got forward to tap over. Barry got the next point from a position where it seemed almost impossible to put it over the bar, and then added another minutes later. Gary Arkins came on to score one of his trademark points, and Fionn Smith rounded off the scoring when he punched over in injury time.

After receiving the cup at the end of the game, Gary gave the same speech as he did twice last year, thanking the opposition, the referee, the Headfort Arms, the players, management and supporters. Thanks must also go to Cortown for providing excellent facilities on the night and to AO and Cathrina in Farrellys Bar for post match food.

Gaeil Colmcille: Justy Carry-Lynch, Phelim Dunne, Bruno Griffin, Max Finlay, Rian Early (0-01), Sean King, Niall Williams, Sean Cleary, Oisin O’Reilly, Harry Flanagan, Cormac O’Reilly (0-02), Kevin Carpenter (0-01), Alex Williams (1-00), Gary McGovern (0-04, 2f), Liam Barry (0-03)

Subs: Finn Mullen, Fionn Smith (0-01), Shane Bennett, Jamie Jordan, Eibheann Keegan, Caolan McConnell, Andrew Butler, Gary Arkins (0-01), Taidgh Dardis, Kilian Kelly.

By gaeilcolmcillepro Mon 16th Oct

Related News

Main Sponsor

Our Partners

Proud to be part of