Meath SFC: Gaeil Colmcille 1-11 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 1-15

Mon 11th Oct gaeilcolmcillepro

Meath SFC: Gaeil Colmcille 1-11 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 1-15

Páirc Tailteann was the venue for the meeting of Gaeil Colmcille and Donaghmore Ashbourne in the Quarter-Final for the Fairyhouse Steel Meath Senior Football Championship with a date with St. Peter’s, Dunboyne the prize for the winners.

Donaghmore Ashbourne got off to the perfect start with two points from play inside the opening two minutes of the game. A Seamus Mattimoe free in the third minute got the Kells outfit on the board. Both sides traded placed balls in the 6th and 7th minute with Brian Hanlon pointing for Gaeil Colmcille.

Another Hanlon free either side of two points from Donaghmore Ashbourne left The Moores two points to the good at the first half water break leading 0-05 to 0-03. Donaghmore Ashbourne picked up where they left off and added another point in the 17th minute but this was cancelled out by a free from Mattimoe. With both sides searching for the opening goal of the game, a Brian Hanlon effort saved by Colgan in the Donaghmore Ashbourne nets.

The Moores opened a three point lead and Kells would have to wait until the 25th minute to register their first score from play from Mattimoe. With the half drawing to a close Donaghmore Ashbourne doubled their lead when full-forward Andrew Tormey found the back of the net. This was followed by another point as Kells found themselves seven points behind trailing 1-09 to 0-05.

With Gaeil Colmcille already facing an uphill task their start was one they didn’t need when Donaghmore Ashbourne accounted for the opening two points to leave nine points between the teams with 35 minutes played. A point from Hanlon was cancelled out soon after when Donaghmore Ashbourne were awarded a free kick.

Hanlon added another point from a free and Kells got a lifeline in the 48th minute when Fionn Reilly pounced on a scramble in the goalmouth to leave five between the teams. Donaghmore Ashbourne responded well and added the next point to put six between the sides with just under ten minutes remaining.

Two Mattimoe point brought Kells back to within four points, but with the flow of the game whenever Gaeil Colmcille looked to gain any momentum Donaghmore Ashbourne sucker punched them with a point of their own. Second half substitute Adam Muldoon saw his goal effort tipped over the bar with time heading to the Red. An insurance score from Donaghmore Ashbourne left five between the sides and Kells could only muster up one more score, a 45 from Hanlon as The Moores emerged four point winners.

Gaeil Colmcille: Justin Carry Lynch, Jonny Quigley, Paul Tormay, James Reilly, Conal Courtney, Barry Tormay, Seanie Curran; Phillip Ward, Oisin Reilly, Evan Sheridan, Adam Donnelly, Fionn Reilly (1-00), Seamus Mattimoe (0-05), Ryan Farnham, Brian Hanlon (0-05).

Subs: Martin Barrett for Farnham, Adam Muldoon (0-01) for Donnelly, Cormac Ferguson for Curran, Fionn Ferguson for Ward, Cormac Keegan for Barry Tormay.

Photo ©️ Hogan Stand Meath

Related News

View All

Headfort Arms Hotel

Proud sponsors of Gaeil Colmcille C.L.G

Visit Headfort Arms Hotel
Gaeil Colmcille C.L.G

Our Partners