Admin Login

U15 Division 1: St. Peter’s Dunboyne 3-08 Gaeil Colmcille 6-15

By gaeilcolmcillepro Wed 29th Jul

U15 Division 1: St. Peter’s Dunboyne 3-08 Gaeil Colmcille 6-15
U15 Division 1: St. Peter’s Dunboyne 3-08 Gaeil Colmcille 6-15

Gaeil Colmcille made the down the M3 to Dunboyne and came away with the vital two points after a strong finish to a highly entertaining game of football to the opening round of the U15 Paddy O’Brien Cup Division 1 against St. Peter’s.

After  a tense opening 15 minutes with both sides trading scores  Kells led by the minimum 0-04 to 0-03 with brothers John (3) and Andrew Gormey getting on the score board for the visitors.  Dunboyne did level the game up in the 19th minute but Kells finished the half the stronger with Andrew Gormley grabbing a brace of points and wing forward Rian Early pointing also.

In the 26th minute Kells saw some daylight between the sides after good work from Callum Mitchell and John Gormley, the ball found its way to Andrew Gormley who side stepped the Dunboyne defender and fire to the top corner of the net leaving the keeper with no chance. Andrew followed up that score with another point to see Gaeil Colmcille lead 1-08 to 0-04 at the break.

In a crazy 15 minutes, St. Peter’s came out with intent at the start of the second half and found the back of the net with a well struck goal within 60 seconds, this was equally matched when Byron Wearen laid the ball off to Harry Flanagan who pulled the goal back for Kells. The hosts looked a cert to get their second goal of the game but for the heroics of keeper Glen Gavagan getting down low to his left to stop the ball from hitting the net.

in the 37th minute Dunboyne did grab their second goal to close the gap to just four points. With the hosts gaining momentum, they were awarded a penalty in the 39th minute but Gavagan again produced a fine save to stop the net from shaking. Both sides did manage to trade goals before the water break with Oisin O’Reilly finding the net for Kells. Three more points in a row from Dunboyne saw Gaeil Colmcille lead 3-09 to 3-08.

With one point separating the teams at the second half water break, Gaeil Colmcille found their rhythm and went on to close out the game outscoring their opponents 3-06 to 0-00 in the final quarter with Early, Wearen and Andrew Gormley finding the back of the net.

Arguably the score of the game came in the 52nd minute when full back Bruno Griffin gathered the ball on his own back line, Some slick exchanges and numerous one-two’s Griffin found himself inside the Dunboyne and his left footed strike with over the bar off the upright to give Kells a crucial score in the second half that fired them to victory.

Next up for the Kells men will be welcoming Seneschalstown to Grangegodden on the 11th of August for the second round.

Gaeil Colmcille: G Gavagan, O Walsh, B Griffin (0-01), A Glynn, T Anderson, J Hogg, L Barry, D Butler, J Gormley (0-05), C Mitchell, O O’Reilly (1-01), R Early (1-02), H Flanagan (1-00), A Gormley (2-05), B Wearen (1-01).

Subs: E Flynn, N Boshell, S Dardis, M Dunne

Related News

Main Sponsor

Our Partners

Proud to be part of